Vegetarian Stuffed Corgettes
Serves 4 people
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2 medium courgettes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes 1/2 inch diced
- 1 cup red capsicum 1/2 inch diced
- 1 cup diced Shiitake mushrooms 1/2 inch diced
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of old cheddar cheese (optional)
- Additional grated parmesan (optional)
- In a pot with boiling water, cook your quinoa, strain it and set aside.
- Trim stem end from courgettes. Cut each courgettes horizontally in 2. Then scoop out the inside of each half courgette with a teaspoon or a melon-baller until it looks like a canoe. Try to not cut through to the bottom. Dice it to ½ inch dice and set aside.
- Dice in the same way the red capsicum, fresh tomatoes, red onion and mushrooms.
- In a large skillet or frying pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add red onion and cook two minutes. Add garlic, red capsicum, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms and the courgette's flesh. Mix to combine and sauté one minute.
- Remove from heat and mix in cumin, turmeric, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and grated cheese. Mix to combine.
- Divide the filling between each courgette boat press it to obtain a compact filling and fill up the courgettes.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered. Try not to over cook, otherwise the courgette will start to sag and the filling will not stay in.
- As soon as they come out of the oven, sprinkle the tops with additional Parmesan cheese and serve.